If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
By Carmen Ensinger
A Roodhouse couple is homeless after a fire totally consumed their rural Roodhouse home early Saturday morning.
The Roodhouse Fire Protection District was dispatched to a fire at 92 West Roodhouse Road, approximately two miles west of Route 67, at 8:53 a.m. Saturday morning.
Roodhouse Police Chief Terry Hopkins said the call originally came in as a grass fire, but by the time the department arrived at the scene, the high winds had progressed the fire to encompass a two-car garage, three vehicles and eventually migrated to the house.
The unofficial cause of the fire is from a resident of the home dumping the contents of a wood burning stove from the garage outside. The contents from the stove caught the grass on fire and the high winds moved the fire to the adjacent buildings.
The White Hall Fire Department was called in for mutual aide and Carrollton Fire Department was put on stand-by.
While the home was considered a total loss in the original fire, it re-ignited twice more before being totally consumed.