If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
25 years ago
November 27, 1996
Calhoun High School student council members decorated the courthouse lawn with red ribbons in observance of World Aids Day, December 1. Student council members are front row, left to right, Jason Bick, Tara Roth, Sheri Hagen, Jeni Loft, Rhonda Pluester, Brad Friedel, Nikki Moore.
Back row, left to right, Justin Lee, John Kronable, Daniel Herkert, Billye Grissom, Ashley Nance and Klint Clore.
50 years ago
November 25, 1971
St. Norbert’s Catholic Church in Hardin will celebrate its centennial celebration on Sunday, January 16, 1972. Bishop William O’Connor of Springfield will offer mass in the church at 4 p.m., to be followed by a potluck supper for the entire parish in the gym after the mass.
Rev. Roy Bauer, pastor of St. Norbert’s, has invited the priests who were formerly associated with St. Norbert’s to concelebrate with the bishop, and the Dominican Sisters who have taught here in the past are to be honored guests.
For many years the Catholic people of Hardin attended the same church as did the people of Michael.
The first mass to be celebrated in the neighborhood was at a house located three miles north of Hardin, at the site of the old Paul Godar home. This was in the year 1850, and the priest came from St. Charles, Mo.
In 1852, the priest from Brussels came to the neighborhood once a month and said mass at the home of Mr. Degerlia, Mr. Ewens and Mr. Bokamp.
In 1861, the log church at Michael was constructed and a priest from Fieldon was obtained.
In 1877, Rev. Freimuth was appointed resident pastor at Michael and he was instrumental in having the frame church built at Hardin.
The building was dedicated by Bishop P.J. Baltes of Alton on April 25, 1878.
The priests who were stationed at Michael attended the Hardin Church and were Revs. Summers, Johannes and Connelly.
In 1908, the rectory was built and the first resident priest, Rev. Kelley, was installed. Other priests who served before 1910 were Rev. Francis Smith and Rev. O’Flarethy.
In 1910, Rev. Edward Hickey was appointed. It was due to the efforts of Rev. Hickey that the new church was built in 1914 and 1915, according to George W. Carpenter’s “Calhoun is My Kingdom.”
75 years ago
November 21, 1946
Fed an incomplete ration, the chicken on the left weighs only slightly over one pound at 12 weeks. The one on the right weighs over 2 and one-half pounds at the same age as a result of having been fed a complete balanced ration.
The one-pound chicken was fed ground yellow corn, ground wheat, ground oats, salt and a Vitamin D carrier, while the 2 and one-half pounder got a scientifically balanced feed in which was utilized knowledge of the nation’s animal nutrition laboratories.
100 years ago
November 24, 1921
The musical given by the pupils of the Hardin school last Thursday evening was very good and it was pronounced so by the large crowd in attendance.
Every number on the program was splendid and each were forced, under heavy applause, to respond with a second selection.
The following program was rendered:
Selection- S. S. Orchestra.
Solo- Master Robt. Mortland.
Piano duet- Erna Stevens and Pauline Degerlia.
Piano selection- Thresa McNabb.
Vocal solo- Arthur Mielke.
Piano solo- Helen Campbell.
Vocal solo- C. L. Tureman.
Piano solo- Master George Calahan.
Vocal selection- Male quartet, composed of Lamont Beaty, Joe Mielke, Clarence Ringhausen and Arthur Mielke.
Piano selection- Grace Ingle.
Piano duet- Master Porter Campbell and Lucy Lamar.
Vocal solo- Gus Lausseur.
Vocal selection- Ladies quartet, composed of Mesdames. Ione Lamar, Sadie Campbell, Nellie Miller, Lenore Lausseur.
Piano duet- Mrs. Bryan Rose and Miss Stella Dixon.
Vocal solo- Mrs. C. L. Tureman.
Selection- S. S. Orchestra.
Violin solo- Master George Calahan.
The entertainment closed with a violin number by Master George Calahan who played “Old Black Joe” with the violin bow in his mouth.